Monday, March 19, 2012

Day 6: Spiritual Update Monday 19th 2012

Hello again everyone it's Ashley.


Patti has been doing such a wonderful job at remembering and relaying the medical side of this journey.  I wanted to relay some of the spiritual side of what I have been feeling. We have had so many people from different locations and religions offer prayers on our behalf. I know that we are all God's children and that he loves us. We are so thankful for every prayer that has been said on our behalf.


I want to share some of the tender mercies I have noticed both leading up to the accident as well as after it. Some of you may or may not know that Scott and I are very active in our religion. We belong to the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We believe that God loves us and is aware of us. Scott and I have daily prayers together, study the Bible and the Book of Mormon together. We strive to make Christ the center of our lives. 


A few weeks ago we had a church meeting discussing the importance of daily study of the Book of Mormon. We recently finished the New Testament and decided to start the Book of Mormon again. We decided that this time we would read the chapters on our own and then discuss what we had studied when we had dinner together at night. We enjoyed these conversations together and learned new insights to current questions and struggles we have had. In the past we have tried to memorize specific scriptures that stuck out to us. The night before Scott left for his 3rd week in Cottonwood (he would spend the week there and then come home on the weekends) we swapped favorite scripture quotes.


The scripture that I quoted was Proverbs 3:5-6.  
5. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
When my sweet cousin lost her 7 year old little girl this scripture really stood out to me. I have loved it ever since. (Love you Mandy)


Also in my scripture reading lately I have found a constant theme that the servants of God are not spared difficult trials or heart ache. Christ himself suffered all and he was perfect. It hit me... what makes us think we are any better? 
1 Nephi 19:9 And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men.


So the day of the accident there were a few huge blessings...
#1. I had a talk with one of my best friends here in AZ (Jenn) about the scripture study Scott and I have been doing. We were discussing how hard trials are and how it isn't our place to ask God why. This conversation echoed in my head when I received the call about Scott's accident. All of the scriptures that we had been memorizing filled my mind.


#2. I wasn't alone when I found out the news. I had a busy day planned out but I changed my plans on a split second decision because I needed to return some books to the library. Jenn said she would return the books for me but I decided to join her and her kids for about an hour at the library. We were just about to leave our neighborhood when the phone call came in. She was able to help me get the things I needed from my house as well as drive me 2.5 hours to the hospital. Her husband also drove one of their cars up so I would have a vehicle available to me. They stayed with me until Patti was able to arrive. (Thank you Larson Family)


#3. Moments after I got the phone call about the accident my mom called me out of the blue. I had literally just found out about the accident no more than 3 minutes previous. My mom was at work and just wanted to call me for a minute. I am so thankful she did. I needed to hear my mom's voice she was then able to contact the rest of my family to let them know. 


#4. Scott had on his helmet and his road ID. I am sure that his helmet saved his life. Because he had his road ID I was able to be notified of what had happend. Thankfully he wasn't in the hospital as a John Doe with out any family to contact. 


#5. Scott was able to receive a priesthood blessing. Because of quick acting on Jenn's part many individual in our church were notified of what was happening. Phone calls were made and we were able to arrange a member of the local Flagstaff bishopric to be around to help Jenn's husband (Nate) give Scott a blessing of healing after he came out of surgery. I was also able to have a blessing of comfort given to me by some of Scott's friends and rotation buddies who helped search for Scott's keys. They also drove an hour out of the way and gave up time with family to bring me comfort. (Thank you Nate, Andy, and Travis)


#6. Most of Scott's belongings were found. In order to correctly name and identify Scott they needed a photo ID. Since I didn't have his wallet I couldn't do so. We still didn't know where many of his things had gone because the police hadn't contacted me yet. Once they did contact me they informed me that his wallet hadn't been found. We were almost going to start the process of canceling all his cards when we found the wallet with some of his other belongings at the house in Cottonwood where he was staying. 


#7. Also in his wallet right on top of all his cards was one of the past scriptures we memorized as a couple. It was printed on computer paper and slightly worn but this is what it said. 
Words of Mormon 1:7 And I do this for a wise purpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he worketh in me to do according to his will.


#8. The response teams and Doctors were able to react quickly. From all the reports I have heard it sounds like everything happend very quickly and he was able to be placed in the right hands to get him good care. 


#9. I believe that one of the ways God speaks to us today is through scripture. Scott and I have such a close relationship, we are very best friends. It just rips my heart out to sit by his side and talk to him without being able to hear his witty jokes or see his big smile. I decided the best way to cope with these events was to write letters to Scott. As I was writing down how thankful I was that we had shared scriptures before he left I went to type out the reference to that scripture I had quoted. I could remember the scripture but not remember where it was found. Instead of Proverbs 3:5-6 I wrote out Psalms 3: 5-6 
I wanted to make sure I had the right scripture so I checked it. I soon found out that my mistake of writing Psalms instead of Proverbs was no mistake. 
Psalms 3: 5 
 I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me.


To me this is a direct answer to my prayers. Out of all the passages of scripture to find this one is so directly related to our situation. I can't just pass it over as a fluke. I was so thankful that Lord is aware of Scott and that he will sustain him throughout this long journey ahead. 


#10. I was shown Barrows and St. Josephs by Scott himself. The next step after Scott is stable is hopefully transfer. There are multiple facilities to choose from (Scott's dad and step-mom have been checking them out) I can't remember exactly but I think his last rotation was at St.Josephs Hospital for internal med. I have never found the need or been asked by Scott to come see the place he rotates at. One Sunday he asked if I wanted to come with him down to St.Josephs while he picked up some paperwork. I didn't go in with him but we did drive around the campus and he did point out Barrows Nuro Center to me. He told me how it's one of the best in the world. I continue to hear wonderful reports about St.Joe's and Barrows and I can't forget that Scott and I shared that moment together. We are praying that things work out for us to make it down there. It's hard to say when though. 


#11. Friends that know what we need. Some truly wonderful friends put together a HUGE box of food, water, toiletries, and fuzzy blankets. They brought healthy options as well as some sweets too. So many of these things have come in handy and it has made life a easier. Jenn also went in and did my dishes and put a few things away for me at my house. Others have offered to take care of our house, water our plants, bring meals up, and oh so many other thoughtful things. (Thank you to the Winter, Larson, Robertson, Hunter, and Doctor families for sending these useful things our way.) 


#12. Spiritual Sunday messages. Since I wasn't able to attend church yesterday I wanted to fill the room with uplifting music as well as listen to talks and messages from our church leaders. As I was getting on to the web page it brought up what they call a Mormon Message. It was entitled: God Will Lift Us Up. It was based on a talk called Waiting upon the Lord: Thy Will Be Done. 




The video touched my heart. I loved some of the quotes that were given in the talk and wanted to read the whole article. As I read it my heart was calmed and the tears fell.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from it if you don't have time to watch the video or read the talk.


"I have often pondered, Why is it that the Son of God and His holy prophets and all the faithful Saints have trials and tribulations, even when they are trying to do Heavenly Father’s will? Why is it so hard, especially for them?
As we ask these questions, we realize that the purpose of our life on earth is to grow, develop, and be strengthened through our own experiences. How do we do this? The scriptures give us an answer in one simple phrase: we “wait upon the Lord.” Tests and trials are given to all of us. These mortal challenges allow us and our Heavenly Father to see whether we will exercise our agency to follow His Son. He already knows, and we have the opportunity to learn, that no matter how difficult our circumstances, “all these things shall [be for our] experience, and … [our] good.”

Does this mean we will always understand our challenges? Won’t all of us, sometime, have reason to ask, “O God, where art thou?” Yes! When a spouse dies, a companion will wonder. When financial hardship befalls a family, a father will ask. When children wander from the path, a mother and father will cry out in sorrow. Yes, “weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.” Then, in the dawn of our increased faith and understanding, we arise and choose to wait upon the Lord, saying, “Thy will be done.”
What, then, does it mean to wait upon the Lord? In the scriptures, the word wait means to hope, to anticipate, and to trust. To hope and trust in the Lord requires faith, patience, humility, meekness, long-suffering, keeping the commandments, and enduring to the end."

I just wanted a chance to let you know theses things that have been taking place because of your prayers and love. This road is going to be a long one and it is so nice to know that we don't have to travel it alone. We love you all and are so thankful for the support you have shown us and continue to show us. I know I will try my best to continue to have faith that God will do what he sees fit. I am still praying for a miracle to happen. 

Love you all,
Ashley 

























13 comments:

  1. I've loved reading this daily and hearing all of the medical updates on Scott..but it's always a special treat to hear from you Ashley! Thanks for this wonderful post and insight into your thoughts, feelings and the tender mercies given to you from the Lord. What a peaceful thing to be spoken to so directly from the scriptures during this difficult time. Thanks for taking the time to write...praying today brings much better news. jen garbett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, you are an amazing girl. I'm so happy to hear about some of the tender mercies you are experiencing at this time. I know that the Lord is mindful of you and your situation. I firmly believe that He is right there with you in the hospital each day. He never leaves Scott's side. Take a look at Psalm 46:1. I think of you often, you're both in my every prayer. Love you! Tiff Goodson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Ashley, for sharing your heart. What an outstanding wonderful couple you are! I know the Lord is with you both. We love you and send our heartfelt prayers. You may not remember us but we are in Todd and Patti's ward.

    David and Claudia Beal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ashley for you sweet humble testimony. You and Scott are such a Christ centered couple that a lot can be learned from. I know the Lord is watching over Scott and you and his angels are bearing you up. We love you and pray for Scott and his recovery every day.

    The Bakken Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,
    What a marvelous message of faith and testimony. Your words brought tears to both of us. We have already been expressing our appreciation to Patti for her incredible job documenting the medical news for us.
    Now, after reading your entry today, I feel as if Patti has been given the task of sending us "the Large Plates", but today, you have given us "the Small Plates" with the spiritual nutrition we all benefit from. Thanks again.
    With Love & Misses,
    Lamont & Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Ashley, Writing form Italy and wish I could have been more in communication. I wanted to let you know that even though we can't bring them to him yet, the day of the accident Kenny and I found the Mozart Balls that Scott asked for last Sunday online and ordered some for Scott. They are in our fridge now waiting for him. Even though it will be a while before he can have them, we're not letting anyone but him have them! I feel so absent during this time, but when we are all back in Phoenix please, please know that you can depend on us for anything that you or Scott might need. Or want. Or crave! We love you both so much!

    Aprilynne

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a wonderful example to me, Ashley. I am so glad that the Spirit has been with you, and grateful for all the tender mercies you have received. I love what Lamont & Brenda said about the 'small plates'. Love that comparison! I hope & pray that you continue to be buoyed up, and that Scott heals quickly & fully. <3

    PS- Just thought of something...do either one of you have a camera with you? It may sound strange, but once you're on the other side of this you will want some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did think to bring a camera. I have taken pictures every day. We have been discussing posting a picture or two, but have not come upon a final decision. But we know that he will have many many questions down the road, so we are taking pictures, writing this blog, and will get copies of all of his medical records. Hopefully, the medical records will fill in whatever gaps I am unable to. I am sure he will have more advanced medical questions taht I can answer.

      Delete
  8. Dear Sweet Ashley, We are blessed to know you and Scott. I check this blog every morning before work and every night before bed. Thank you so much for allowing us a window into each day. We are all so grateful to Heavenly Father for helping you and your family through this. He is truly with you all. The hardest thing to do is to find the blessings in the trials and to know Heavenly Father is with us. Please take care of yourself as well. I know your sweet husband is wanting this for you. Any time I can help please let me know. I love you! Dawn Tieman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the beautiful testimony and uplifting comments today, Ashley. You are a wonderful example and I'm so relieved to hear that you are relying on the Lord during this difficult time. There may not be much you can do to help Scott right now, I can only imagine how frustrating that is, but he will certainly need your strength later when he wakes up! Continue to keep your spirits up and allow others to serve you! :) Our love and prayers are with you daily!
    Christine Larson (Larson's sis in law)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ashley, this is Shay (Sorensen) Hansen from Weber State. I met Scott's sister Andrea in Virginia when they were doing summer sales and my husband was in the military. I saw the link to this blog from hers. Your testimony is so strong! We will keep you guys in our prayers. I love you and Scott so much and know things will work out! Who knows God's bigger purposes in our trials.. maybe this experience will bring someone close to you guys or completely random strangers closer to the church. You just keep being an example and remember so many people are thinking about you! Love you love you! And you make the best pies ever and the cutest drawings- I still have the giraffe you drew and colored for me! :)

    Love Shay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness Ashley, this post made me bawl like crazy! Thank you so, so much for posting this! It lets us know what's going on in your brain a little more (I'm so far away and I'm really struggling being away from you all when you are in such need!). It was also so inspirational and was such a spiritual post. I love you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ashley, I am amazed at your strength despite the hardship you face at this time. Your testimony is simply beautiful and inspiring. It is easy to tell just from your posts that both you and your husband are outstanding individuals. We continue to pray for you and Scott, that you will have the strength and endurance needed through this trial.
    Love Chelsea B (Bree's friend)

    ReplyDelete