Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The rest of Day 14: Dreams Come True -, Tuesday March 27, 2012

For every parent, having a child become disconnected from your life as a result of tragedy or conflict, creates dreams of being re-united.  Today, Scott has been able to express a reconnection with himself and with his family.  This was especially moving as he and Ashley embraced and kissed through the afternoon.  Embellished when he interacted with and thanked his sister Annie and her two children Myla and Tyce during a Skype video call.  And punctuated as he wished me a “Good Nite”, reached out to bring me near and gave me a kiss on the cheek.  I feel I can express that for all of Scott’s parents, Patti, Todd, Carol and myself, our dreams have come true today.

There were more medical advances this afternoon to share.  Physical Therapy came and had Scott stand up three times.  Each time he was able to stand assisted and straighten his back and head with help.  See Photos:


Also during PT the Ortho consult came with the results of his shoulder x-rays.  Everything was in the correct position so the next step is an MRI to look at the soft tissue, in particular the bundle of nerves along the shoulder.  His lack of ability to move the right shoulder and arm may be caused by damage to those nerves.  This would also require neurological treatments.  The one thing the x-rays did confirm was a definite AC separation which is the cause of the lump on his shoulder.  The PA valued it as a 2 to 3, I assume this is the grade of separation.  Ashley and I have been working on the right arm and hand to reduce the stiffness and he is now holding it more loosely and using the elbow for stability more often.

I will close by sharing another conversation I had with Scott this afternoon.  I asked Scott if he was in pain.  Scott said “NO”.  Then Scott said without prompting...”SHOULD I BE?”

Scott the Physician in training emerges!

Joy!

Mickey Moore

5 comments:

  1. What a joyous day! I am sitting with tears streaming down my face...tears of nothing but joy! I am so happy for all of you! I have to say that the thought of Scott and Ashley sharing kisses and hugs just makes me smile from ear to ear! I know that our Heavenly Father loves each one of us and I know we are all witnessing (through your sharing) a miracle! We are continuing to pray but our prayers are also of thankfulness!

    Love,

    The Van Eerden's
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with these updates Mickey & Ashley. Anybody want to start a lottery to see how long Patti can stay away with all this excitement going on? It's all just TOO COOL to see such rapid progress after those long days of just waiting.
    Thanks again.
    We are ALL with you every day and are jealous that we cannot give you all hugs and express our love and support to Scott & Ashley in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Lamont,

      Lottery spoiler alert....

      You can obviously sense my internal angst about being in Utah instead of Arizona right now! I knew when I left, based on his rate of progress, that he would likely become more aware while I was gone. And... I wouldn't be there to witness it or for him to know I was there supporting him. He likely does not remember all the hours I sat and slept by his bedside. I had to come to terms with that before leaving, but... the heart and the head are definitely on opposite ends of the spectrum on this issue. It's hard to act rationally in such an emotional situation.

      And... I am actually having to delay my plans to return to Phoenix until Sunday. Ashley's mom is arriving tomorrow. Carol and Daniel are returning for the weekend. That just makes things too crowded in that small room. So... yes, I am getting more than anxious to return, and I am having to wait until Sunday. Ugh!!! Sooo hard on a mother! But... I would rather have this situation (improving daily, a hoard of friends and family who want to visit, and, thus, needing to take my turn) than have a situation with long waits between improvements and no love or support.

      I am definitely counting the days, minutes and hours until I am there again on Sunday, though!

      Delete
  3. YAY! I'm so glad that you were able to get a hug and a kiss from your honey, Ashley! I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat. SO happy for these recent events. Love you!

    ReplyDelete