Friday, March 30, 2012

Day 17: Scott and Ashley Quality Time

Hello to all reading. It's Ashley.

Mickey covered todays happening really well. I wanted to share some of my perspective on today for just a minute. After the major insurance upset this morning, which left me in tears, I came back to Scott's room feeling frustrated and discouraged. I was really looking forward to moving on to the next stage of Scott's recovery. But despite all of that there were some very terrific things about today that brought a huge smile to my face. 

1. While I was testing Scott's ability to read as well as see (by writing down words on a piece of paper) The first word I wrote was "Scott", the second word I wrote was "love", and the third word was "complicated." After Scott was able to read those words to me I asked him if he wanted to try writing a word. (The only problem is Scott is right handed so he tried writing by using his left.) I told him I would help him and I asked what word he wanted to write. The word he chose was "Joy" If that doesn't show you they type of guy Scott is I don't know what does. 

2. Our CNA today was asked if she would give Scott a shave. She looked dumb struck and reluctant so I offered to help out and shave his face for her. I told her if she would bring me the stuff I would do it and it could save her some time. Now I really wish I had a video camera around because this process was definitely worth a laugh or two. Now I have never shaved a mans face before but I think I know my way around a razor and shaving cream. (I did have a "Shave Ken Barbie growing up... Yeah they actually make something like that)  So off we set on this little experience together. Scott was set up in his wheel chair which made things a little easier. (I can't imagine if I were to try and shave him while he was in bed) It was a balancing act trying to make sure I didn't cut him, hurt him, or send any soapy water down his trach. Needless to say we got the job done and I he was patient with me the whole time. I only nicked him in a few places... sorry honey. But he looks more like my Scott now and I love it!!


3. After our shaving escapades I asked him if he wanted to drink some water. He made me laugh by asking the respiratory therapist to go get him a drink. With in a minute Scott had downed the water. I made sure that he was swallowing it all and not just choking on it. We refilled his cup 3 times. 

4. Since he hadn't had any food since 12:00 the night before I asked him if he wanted to try to eat something. He said that he did. I asked if he wanted to have pudding or jello. He said he wanted pudding. So off I went to ask the nurses for some pudding. I successfully came back with some chocolate snack-pack pudding. We worked on him feeding himself. I was trying to encourage him to use his right hand to feed himself but it didn't work out so well. He took the pudding cup from me with his left hand and tried to drink it from the cup. This in turn caused him to have brown pudding all over his lips and nose. It made me laugh out loud. He then agreed to let me help him with his pudding. 

5. Finally we were able to leave Select (fingers crossed that we don't have to go back there) we are now in St. Joseph's the main hospital. I can't begin to tell you all how much the staff here have impressed me. WOW. It is amazing to me how kind and considerate they have been. 

6. Scott is becoming more and more capable of reasoning... except as to where his trach collar actually goes. He keeps insisting that it goes on his nose and his mouth. Every 10 seconds he has moved it back up and we have the conversation that it stays on his neck by his trach. 

7. Tonight Scott told me that he wanted to go eat at Olive Garden. I told him that when he is feeling better we can for sure go eat there (or at least get some to go and bring it to rehab when he is able to eat solid food again) 

8. When I asked Scott to calm down a little so that I could go eat my dinner he got really fidgety. He made every effort possible to get out of bed. I asked him if there was a reason he was trying to get out of bed and he replied. "I need to go get you dinner." Melted my heart. :) 

9. Last night during one of our wrestling matches Scott said to me... "Your turn." Often times right before bed at night we will try and switch who says bed time prayer. To this one of us usually replies "your turn." I asked him if he wanted me to say our bedtime prayer and he said he did. I was able to hold his hand and say a little prayer of gratitude for our day and for all the progress he is making. We also wanted to thank our Heavenly Father for all the wonderful people who have shown love, prayers, and support through all of this. It was a sweet moment for me to share with him. I know he is grateful for all of you. 

10. It really was a great day full of quality time with one another. It makes you stop and take a look at life and enjoy some of the smaller moments. Take a moment and enjoys some of those small moments with your families. Life is a precious gift that we sometimes forget the meaning of. Thank you all again for your continued concern, love, prayers, and support. I have truly felt lifted by all of it. We are holding strong and will continue to move forward.


Love you all,

Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Oh Ash, those stories really touched my heart. You and Scott are just amazing individuals and something even better together! We love you and will be thinking of you during Conference today. I hope you're able to listen to the messages as well, I'm sure there will be something special for you during the next 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *taking notes* Olive Garden. Got it.;)

    Sounds like you definitely made the most of a bad start to the day! I love this kinds of posts!

    <3

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash, thank you so much for sharing this. It brings tears of joy hearing how far he has come & his sweetness towards you. We love you guys so much! Thank you to you, Patti, & Mickey for keeping us posted through the past few weeks. If you could let me know when you are up to skyping so you guys can see your new nephew! ;) we love you very much & pray every day for continued TRIUMPHS! Xoxo

    Yinny

    ReplyDelete