Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 13/14: Wrestlemania & Sleep Depravation

Poor Scott. Tonight has been one long wrestling match after another. We waited till 10 pm to give him any medication so that he might sleep better through the night. It took about a half hour of me wrestling him into bed and then he had a bowel movement. After that I hoped he would calm down. Eventually the medication kicked in. We both got a few hours of sleep until Scott tried to pull a Houdini on me and escape his roll belt, side pads, and railing. He managed to make it half way off the bed pulling off his oxygen tube, condom catheter and the attachment to his feeding tube. When I finally woke up to all the commotion I was worried that he might have pulled his feeding tube out of his stomach, thankfully that wasn't the case. 



Since then we have started round 2 of the wrestling match. Here is a play by play of how it goes since you can't see this great battle from the ring side.

Scott starts with the left leg and moves it over the the side padding. He then uses that left leg to pull himself closer to the edge of the bed. He is able to use the right leg more so he skillfully places that over the edge of the bed as well. He then uses his left elbow to start sitting up as much as possible. Often times he will grab at the side rails to pull himself to whatever side he prefers. (The roll belt basically wraps around his torso and ties on opposite sides of the bed. This helps keep him from sitting all the way up, or falling all the way out of bed.)

If I can catch him before both legs are over the edge of the bed I can usually lift his legs up and pull them back around into bed. Sometimes when I am sitting next to the bed he will use me as his leverage to pull himself up. I have almost ended up in the bed with him a few times. I forget how strong he is.

After this last incident they decided that he would need to have mitts put on. They basically look like small pillow boxing gloves that tie at the wrist of the hand. He hates them and it makes me feel like a terrible person for having to do this to him. I just have to remind myself that it's to keep him safe.

I don't feel like I can go to sleep because each time I do he ends up almost on the floor or ripping something off. I was joking with the nurses that this situation reminds me of a new mom and baby. You're tired and sleep deprived and want your baby to go to sleep but the moment the baby is asleep and you wake up and they aren't crying you immediately worry that something is wrong.  That is why I am sitting up writing this post at 4 am... He is finally starting to calm down enough (thanks to a recent dose of Meds) that I don't have to wrestle him, but I do need to keep my eyes on him.

Thankfully Mickey should be here soon to tag in so I can get some sleep.


Good Night or Morning to you all,

Love Ashley


9 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley and Scott! In Cannon's (my missionary son that Scott and Ashley helped and encouraged) email this week this is what he said. "Everything will work out, just stay strong. Scott is definitely a fighter." After reading your post this morning I had to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO, SCOTT !!!
    We know you can do it. Just keep fighting !!!
    Your bod looks totally buffed and Ashley looks absolutely ridiculous with that white and red mask and leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good grief, Scott!!!:D But really, how can we do anything but cheer?

    Take care, Ashley, don't let him put you in a headlock!;)

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ashley, We continue to pray for you and Scott. You must be exhausted. I think the scripture goes something like "all things are possible with God." Even this. It seems like you keep your sense of humor which is wonderful. Scott is a fighter, good luck with the wrestling match. You are always in our thoughts.

    Elise and Ken Lundeen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,

    Remember there are no rules to wrestling! When you tag Mickey, tag him across the jaw for me...his little brother.

    You are always in the forefront of our minds. We are looking forward to engaging in a few headlocks when we get there to visit.

    P. Moore

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Ashley, Rob and i just laughed at the thought of you trying to lift/wrestle Scott back into bed, you poor girl. Thanks for your appearance the other night- it is always good to see you and be able to just talk about normal things. Thinking of you always!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a thought Ashley, can you play soft music (hymns or primary songs) to help calm him at night? William Joseph has a beautiful new CD out w/arrangements of some of the hymns titled "Still"...seems appropriate ;) Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us! You're always in our prayers!
    Love ya, Tami & Lee Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was so great to see you both! And to hear his voice! Thanks for the effort, and thanks for thinking of us. Love you both!! :)
    He looks incredibly good! And I am amazed with his progress. Its such a blessing that he was in prime physical, mental and spiritual condition before the accident. What a benefit that will be, in so many ways, toward all aspects of his recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! YAY for Scott!!!! YAY for all of you! The Colorado team is watching and rooting for you . Ashley , you are clearly stronger than you look. Did not know you were a wrestler! So wonderful to see Scott is drinking water, talking and generally raising a ruckus. Holy smoke, what an improvement! Our love to you, Molly and Von

    ReplyDelete