Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 41: In His Own Words - April 23, 2012

Hello to all. For the post tonight I wanted to do something a little different. I decided it would be fun to hear todays events from Scott himself. So here's Scott:




Here are some images of how his wounds are healing. They look so much better, but for those of you who are squeamish... you have been warned. 

Trach Stoma 


Stomach Stoma 

Right Arm



Left Arm


I forgot to take one of his head but I will do that another time. Anyway I want to end with one quick story. Today in OT Scott was working on a worksheet that had a list of jumbled letters. The objective was to find a 4-5 letter word somewhere in the mix. It looked something like this:

1. lytruewsao
2. gahalarmrp

On number two Scott circled the letters alar. I was confused for a moment but he explained that alar means wing. He sounded so convincing so I didn't say much. 
A few minutes later he tried to tell me that glarb was also a word... he said it was similar to glop. I told him to try again and he admitted that one was made up. Anyway tonight I wanted to look up alar just out of curiosity and sure enough Scott was right...

a·lar

  [ey-ler]  Show IPA
adjective
1.
pertaining to or having wings; alary.
2.
winglike; wing-shaped.
3.
Anatomy, Botany axillary



 I am learning something new everyday!! Goodnight to all of you.

-Ashley


9 comments:

  1. Those videos were really neat. I noticed a lot of differences from the one where he was talking just a week or so ago. Wow, he's such a walking miracle! :) Yay for Friday!! Congrats to you two.
    My 2 older children (4 & 6 yrs) were very excited yesterday when I was looking at the blog and could finally see a picture of "Scott" who they only really know through us talking about you in prayers! :)
    Christine Larson (Nate's Sis in law) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see him! Thanks Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott you are just so amazing, we're sorry we missed seeing you at church but we've all been sick and I wouldn't have wanted to share it.

    Ashley you are quiet possibly the strongest women I know.

    Congrats guys!!!

    Oh a question that my oldest asked, Scott since this have you had any change of plans on a specialty when you are a DR.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What brain injury?!? Seriously Scott is so dang smart!!! And I had to giggle at what med school has taught you, Scott-- I have told Austin a million times that I think they make you do everything the hard way in med school! I could come in and make the program MUCH easier and more efficient, ha ha. But it really seems like it's really trained your brain to be able to remember everything much easier than if I were in your same shoes! So I guess med school and it's "making things harder than it has to be" is worth it after all! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I just showed this video to Gid, and when Scott waved, he waved back.:D Gotta love kids!

    <3A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott and Ashley, you two are amazing. It was soooooo good to see you Sunday. It is so good to see the progress. Your speach is so good. You are working so hard and it is paying of in wonderful ways. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scott and Ashley~
    Cort and I apologize for being slackers for awhile, we have been continually praying but have not had time to follow the blog as closely with school (graduation) and special olympics stuff!!!! Tell scott we love him tons and are so excited to see the improvement that we have missed but have been catching up on today!!!! Ashley we admire you extremely and are proud of your hard work and determination with scott!!!! Oh you should ask scott if he remembers playing at the winter games opening ceremony, I still get told that they were the best entertainment and how much fun the athletes had. They also say that the band was the best they have had in years at weber state! anyways I guess I should be getting bed!!! love you both and look forward to more posts and videos!!!!
    Nicole and Cortney Groves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears of joy....you are both incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scott and Ashley!! I've continued to read and I, like everyone else, find this to be such an AMAZING and beautiful recovery. You are both strong and Scott you are going to do even more amazing things. The Lord spared your life so you could bless so many others. Congrats on the milestone of coming home soon. I would love to stop by and visit sometime soon! Thanks for keeping us updated. Jen Garbett

    ReplyDelete