Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 38: Learning the Ropes- April 20, 2012

Hello Everyone, 

It's Ashley. 

I get the privilege to share the events of today with all of you. Scott and I both slept well last night. He only woke up a few times needing to go to the bathroom and only one other time with a bit of disorientation. He started his day around 7:00 am. Around this time one of his physicians came in to check on his progress. Some of the staff here enjoy visiting with Scott and asking him medical questions to see if he remembers the answers. Today Scott had the opportunity to turn the tables and ask his physician a question. He asked what the typical presentation of (SLE = Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) was. It was fun to watch Scott interact and remember some of these medical terms. 

After that was done we realized it was almost 8:00 am and his breakfast hadn't come yet. We notified his nurse and they took care of it for us. While we were waiting for breakfast to come Scott decided to practice some knot tying. Here he is giving us a tutorial on his figure eight skills. 





The Final Product

Showing Off His Skills
For PT today we were able to go on a recreational outing to a local park near St. Joseph's. I wasn't thinking it was going to be much, but it turned out to be a very cute place. There were baby ducks and lots of trees and flowers. There was even a place where you could rent a canoe or a paddle boat. We were joined by one other patient and that patients family member. We worked on walking on different types of surfaces and up a few steep ramps. It was around 83 degrees and we got there around 9:30.  We stayed around 45 minutes. Scott enjoyed being outside but said that he wanted to stay in the shade.  (Too bad Sunday is forecast to be around 100 degrees)

Ashley and Scott together at Encanto Park.
 After we returned from the park Scott had the remaining part of his therapy day. He continues to impress those around him with his determination and humor.
In speech he worked on:
-Math story problems involving time.
- He did some sequencing and manipulation. Starting with the number 1 then adding 9 and then subtracting 4... continuing on until he reached about 130.
- He also had a worksheet that listed different letters. His task was to name the letter in the alphabet that came directly before that letter. (It was tricky, they asked if I would work on it with him for homework this weekend. I have a feeling he is going to be better at it than I will)
- Another exercise was to take 5 words like, (Ball, Foot, Feet, Walker, Hat) then put them in alphabetical order. Keep in mind Scott has these words read aloud to him and he has to try and remember the words while he arranges them. Sounds easy but it is tricky when you have had a list of 50 words read of to you earlier in the day.

This morning Mickey went to the house to do some handy man work before we get home. Thank you Mickey for putting in a extendable shower head, and tightening up our banister for us!! While Mickey was there he picked up one of Scott's books. After lunch today Scott took some time to read over his "First Aid for the USMLE step 2 Clinical Knowledge" (this is one of his study books for the boards!) He has been at it for most of the evening as well.




In OT he worked on straightening out his right arm. He also did a lot of slow stretching with the help of the OT. It is so amazing to me how much we take our bodies for granted. Most of us don't even think about the daily use of our eyes, arms, feet, or brain. (This is me taking a moment to be HUGELY thankful for my health and the health of my loved ones!!)

After Scott's therapies were done we headed out to find a stylish pair of glasses. He told me that I would be the expert on the ones he should get. I told him I would help him choose but it was ultimately up to him. The first frames that the sales associate pulled off the shelf ended up being the ones we liked best. I told him I didn't want to sway his decision one way or the other but I am partial to full black frames... (Now we are twinners) We should be able to pick them up on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

His glasses are his Happy Birthday present from his Dad!! Thank's Mickey and Carol :)


Looking Distinguished!!

I can see him looking more like Student Doctor Moore!! 




On tonight's agenda:
 -We will be having a visit from some of our friends and neighbors
- Playing the guitar 
- I will be giving Scott a hair cut
- Scott will take his nightly shower
- Getting a full nights rest

Again I want to thank all of you for your love and support. I know I haven't had the opportunity to reply to a lot of the letters, e-mails, cards, flowers, and other messages left for Scott and I. I want you to know they are not unnoticed!!! We see the results of your prayers daily. We feel the love from all of you. Thank you for everything. 

Much Love, 

Ashley 




8 comments:

  1. Great post Ashley!

    I'm certainly not an expert but I feel that Scott's cognitive improvement has now exceeded his physical. Especially when we see him in therapies thinking faster than the therapists.

    We will now need to work on the the physical; facial paralysis, the numbness on his right side and balance/coordination. Especially as he begins studying. HOW COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Scott, this is Landon, you're such a great example in all you do and who you are, keep the faith brother. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Scott! Keep up the good work. You are an amazing man. (and Ashley you are pretty awesome yourself)! Praying for both of you out here in Philly!
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys!! I'm so happy and thankful for your progress and strengh. Praying for you and thinking of you daily.
    Kristie and Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lookin' Good, Scottie!!! I'm diggin' the glasses! Makes you look a bit intellectual and a bit artsy!

    Love you! Can't wait to see you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only does it appear that the dexterity of his right hand is improving nicely, but... he also seemed to do well vision-wise. with some of the reading I have done on the vision impairment, they say that judging distances within 3 feet of his eyes will be significantly imparied until he learns how to use other compensation techniques. Based on what I have read, I would expect a lot of "hit and miss" situations, for instance, as he was threading the rope through the knot. But... he appeared seemless....no hit and misses with this task. Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so true... I tried setting my phone on the desk and closing one eye, then I attempted to put my headphones into the jack. I would over shoot with one eye open, and then undershoot with the other eye open (this happened consistently) while only focusing on the jack. People reading this should give it a try and then give Scott some serious credit.

      Delete
  7. Hey Scott, for your next rope practice, try to tie a triple fisherman's knot making one of your lengths of rope into a loop, then use that loop to tie a prusik on the bigger rope I left you. Here is a link to a tutorial for the triple fisherman's knot, or you can just google the knot for a better tutorial. http://www.animatedknots.com/doublefishermans/index.php

    ReplyDelete