Sunday, April 8, 2012

Day 26: Happy Easter- April 8, 2012

Hello Everyone, Ashley here.

With today being Easter Sunday I wanted to share a few tender things with you. Sundays are a day of rest here at the rehab center. We were so grateful that today Scott was able to rest most of the day. Last night he was feeling a bit agitated and nauseous. We later realized that much of that has to do with the upgrade of diet to soft foods. He has to try and swallow that food around his trach which can often make things feel stuck in there.

Around 5:00 am this morning Scott was finally able to really rest well. I had talked it over with Patti and had decided that I would attend part of church today. It was a nice opportunity to take a moment and reflect on the life of Jesus Christ.

While I was away Scott and his mom were able to spend some time together listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Scott got in a few extra hours of sleep as well. I feel that because he didn't have a whole bunch of therapy appointments today he was able to conserve his energy to devote it back to his speech and his thinking. When I returned from church I noticed a huge improvement in his conversations as well as his inflections. He has also gained back some more of his facial movements.

I want to share just a few of the conversations that we had today.

Before I went to church today I asked Scott if he wanted me to pass any message along to everyone. He said "yes, tell everyone thank you for all the prayers. I know that the Lord is helping me through this."

Another situation happened earlier in the week. One of the nurses came in to do their assessment on Scott. The nurse asked Scott if he was a 3rd year medical student. Scott replied, "Yes, I was cut down at the prim of my life." That was the first time I had even somewhat heard him say anything even remotely negative about the accident. When I started thinking about his comment a specific talk came to my mind.
This story is told by Elder Hugh B. Brown- it was quoted in a General Conference talk last April by Elder D. Todd Christofferson. (As Many as I love, I Rebuke and Chasten)

I was living up in Canada. I had purchased a farm. It was run-down. I went out one morning and saw a currant bush. It had grown up over six feet (two meters) high. It was going all to wood. There were no blossoms and no currants. I was raised on a fruit farm in Salt Lake before we went to Canada, and I knew what ought to happen to that currant bush. So I got some pruning shears and clipped it back until there was nothing left but stumps. It was just coming daylight, and I thought I saw on top of each of these little stumps what appeared to be a tear, and I thought the currant bush was crying. I was kind of simpleminded (and I haven’t entirely gotten over it), and I looked at it and smiled and said, “What are you crying about?” You know, I thought I heard that currant bush say this:
“How could you do this to me? I was making such wonderful growth. I was almost as big as the shade tree and the fruit tree that are inside the fence, and now you have cut me down. Every plant in the garden will look down on me because I didn’t make what I should have made. How could you do this to me? I thought you were the gardener here.”
That’s what I thought I heard the currant bush say, and I thought it so much that I answered. I said, “Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn’t intend you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down. Thank you, Mr. Gardener.’”
I am so thankful that I was listening to these talks and can recall some of these stories. Through out this experience I have been bless to recall stories, scriptures, and hymns to help me though this. After I came back from to the hospital from church I pulled up this talk and was able to read it to Scott and his mom. It was a nice introduction to the visitor we had later in the day. 
I requested that a member of our church bring in the sacrament to Scott and Patti. Our dear friend Kenny Pike was able and willing before the request was even made. He came today prepared and ready. He asked Scott if he wanted or could help him actually bless the sacrament. It was such a sweet experience to listen as Scott was able to read the words to the sacrament prayer. After that Kenny was able to stay and chat, as well as bring a few wonderful gifts for Scott and I. (Thank you Pike Family!!!)
The last conversation I want to end with tonight is one that really touches my heart. Since Scott is gaining more and more functionality as the days pass I wanted to ask him a few tough questions. Scott and I got permission from the nurses desk to head outside to the hospital garden area. As Scott and I sat outside alone I decided it was time to bring up a few things that were on my mind. (Today has been so wonderful because it feels like I am slowly regaining my best friend back. Day by day!!) I decided to ask him how he felt about the person that hit him on his bike. As we talked over a few details Scott said: Oh I feel so bad for her. I want to tell her I fully forgiver her!!
My dear sweet husband shows his love to everyone. He is a true example of humility and love. I am SO SO SO thankful that he has retained his amazing personality. 

I know I say it so often but I truly mean it every time... thank you for your continued love, prayers, and support!! We are seeing the results come flooding in.
Thank you all,
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story thanks for sharing that. You guys are amazing! Love Ya the Dixon Spuds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to go to church for a little bit, and that the sacrament was brought in for Scott & Patti. Awesome that Scott was able to bless it! The progress Scott has made sounds truly amazing. Can't wait till I can visit next week! We're still praying. Love you much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Scott - You have not been cut down in the prime of your life, just trimmed. You are also not a currant bush. You are not limited.

    You are Scott. You are love. You are light.

    -- Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott... What an amazing person you are... I knew that you were going to pull through this and you are doing it with such grace. Each time I read something new, I am continually amazed at your positive attitude and your willingness to go on. You are such an example to each of us.
    And Ash- You are so amazing... I love you so much!
    Hang in there you guys!! Know how much we love you!!

    ReplyDelete