Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 76- Birthday Boy, May 28, 2012


This past week has been a busy one. 

When we do have some down time we like to PARTY!!
Well when it's Scott's birthday that is. 

On Thursday we celebrated Scott's 27th Birthday.  

I asked him what he wanted to do for his birthday and he told me he wanted to go get some frozen yogurt. So after we went to the gym we stopped by his favorite frozen yogurt place. He loved it :)


On Saturday we had some friends over for cake and a few games!


I made one of Scott's favorite desserts:
Bienenstich - German for "Bee Sting"
It is said that the baker was stung by a bee while making the original cake... 
that or the sweet glaze attracts a lot of bees. 
I Americanized this one though...
Basically it's a bread like cake with layers of vanilla cream 
and topped with an almond carmel glaze!!

I chose to make this one with 4 layers... I like how it turned out. 


 A few other projects that have been happening around the house...
Scott was told by his Occupational Therapist that using his right hand for fine motor tasks would be beneficial to him. I looked at him and said... "Yeah, you should join me at making jewelry."
His therapist thought it would be a great idea! I felt bad that I had even brought it up. But here is a fun video for all of you to see he actually did this :) 




We sat down together and he picked the color of jewelry he wanted to make. I told him what design would be a good one for him to start with. I showed him the steps it would take in order to complete the earrings. He only had to ask for help a few times but over all he remembered all the steps... he was able to grab the fine wire, beads, and tools and use them well!! It was amazing to watch. You can see in the pictures below that this stuff is itty bitty. I love how much he is concentrating. It was really great to watch.


Here is the final project.

Happy Mother's Day Patti!!
PS- this should be coming in the mail for you sometime this week. 

Medical news...
Scott no longer has any weight restrictions for his right arm. 
The Orthopedic Surgeon told us that things are looking good. He said that the metal plate they put in his right arm to fix the radial bone will stay put. He did mention that the Radial artery was weak (at best) and that Scott is now Ulnar dominate. He also pointed out that part of Scott's radial bone had grown up and over the metal plate. Luckily this isn't a problem but it is something very interesting. When we first learned about Traumatic Brain Injuries we found out that some patients will experience abnormal bone growth.  Looks like Scott experienced this in his arm.

So the good news is Scott can really pump some iron at the gym :) 


Well we are signing off-

Happy Memorial Day to all of you!
Thank you for all of those who have fought so hard to 
keep us safe and give us freedom.

Thank you to my sweet husband who was and is willing to serve our country.



6 comments:

  1. I can gratefully say that there hasn't been a birthday yet, since your actual birth date, that has been met with such relief and appreciation! It actually is a re-birth of sorts! Happy 27th Birthday, Scottie!

    And... Ooohhhh! Thank you for the earrings! I honestly never thought that I would ever receive homemade earrings made by you, rather than Ashley! You did an awesome job! They will definitely have extra special significance and meaning to them! My heart will have extra warmth enveloping it when I wear these! Thank you so very much for such a sweet and personal gift! Gotta' LOVE therapy! Thank you, Ashley for the inspiration, design, and instruction! You are such a sweet wife and daughter-in-law!

    Love you both!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay everyone... the earrings arrived in the mail, and the technique was PERFECT! His wraps were tight and not overlapping, which typically takes a lot of practice to perfect. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are darling! thank scott for his service in the military! Love you Ash!
    -Shay (Sorensen) Hansen (From Weber!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you guys are busy! It's so wonderful to see how much progress Scott is making! Absolutely fantastic!
    Ashley you mentioned paper work and bills in this post. I know how completely overwhelming that all can be. But just like Scotts recovery, it gets better. I'm so sorry you are dealing with all of that. I know the weight you must feel because I feel it too. It gets better, I promise.
    Ashley, in response to your comment, I agree that we would be good friends. Except I couldn't keep up with you artistically/crafty! I actually had been to your art blog before Scotts injury looking at a skirt tutorial. You are very talented in many ways! Perhaps we'll meet someday and you can share some of your tricks!
    I hope these last few weeks have been good. Can't wait to see what progress Scott is making now. I'm just so happy his recovery is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was wonderful to see the two of you! Thanks for hanging out with us. Hopefully we'll meet up again at some point! :) Keep the faith and continue with your patience!
    Love
    Christine Larson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake looks amazing Ashley and the earrings are great. You two are quite the amazing couple. It is so wonderful to see such progress and dedication to recovery. Our thoughts are always with you.

    Elise Lundeen

    ReplyDelete